Jennifer 8 Lee, a NYT reporter who wrote a wonderful book about the origins of Chinese food (specifically the fortune cookie, which is Japanese, not Chinese) called “The Fortune Cookie Chronicles,” wrote a HuffingtonPost piece about the way Asian cuisines fuse with American tastes. The essay is worth a read, and the 16-minute video about Chinese food is definitely worth watching.
Search Nikkei View
- Jeremy Lin’s rise sparks national discussion on race and racial issues, not just over Asian Americans
- A pronunciation guide for Japanese words including “panko,” “udon,” “sake,” “anime” and “karaoke”
- A Chinese tiger mom explains why being a hard-ass Asian parent is better for your kids than Western coddling
- Korea’s obsession with plastic surgery is creating a generation of clone-looking young people
- About Gil Asakawa’s Nikkeiview
- V3con opening night will feature singer-songwriter Connie Lim
- Gil’s Social Media
- “Hawaii Five-0” airs powerful episode about Pearl Harbor & imprisonment of Japanese Americans during WWII
DON’T BE BAKA — BUY THIS!
"Being Japanese American REVISED EDITION"
by Gil Asakawa
NOW AVAILABLE : THE REVISED EDITION OF "BEING JAPANESE AMERICAN" IS AVAILABLE IN PAPERBACK AND FOR KINDLE!
Read Nikkeiview columns going back to 1998, and read about Gil here.
E-mail: gilasakawa (at) gmail (dot) com
AARP’s AAPI Facebook Page
- George Takei’s “Allegiance” is coming to a theater near you Dec. 13, 7:30!
- Trump supporter says internment is precedent for Muslim registration
- The Olympics are a celebration of pride — so we should never forget the JA who set records in the 1950s
- Peachy: “Changing Season” captures the passing of a family farm from one generation to the next
- Cross-cultured leader keeps Asahi Foods’ promise of perfect sushi fish
- Five Years after the Great East Japan Earthquake and Tsunami
- Is China’s economic domination coming to an end?
- Meet Leroy Chiao, a real-live AAPI astronaut
WHAT’S YOUR KRED SCORE?
Empowering Asian Americans
GET NIKKEIVIEW VIA EMAIL:
GET NIKKEIVIEW BY RSS: