Like zillions of other people, I’m enchanted by Hello Kitty and amazed by the worldwide phenomenon of the cute cat that was born in Japan and now adorns all manner of products and objects and toys and appliances worldwide. And, I’m enchanted by this totally cool video of a 7th grade school science project, in which Hello Kitty flies into space and back:
- A pronunciation guide for Japanese words including “panko,” “udon,” “sake,” “anime” and “karaoke”
- “Hawaii Five-0” airs powerful episode about Pearl Harbor & imprisonment of Japanese Americans during WWII
- Korea’s obsession with plastic surgery is creating a generation of clone-looking young people
- The eyes have it: “Anime Eyes” are another way Asian women try to change their looks
- Being JA v2.0 is here, and I’m so glad to be JA!
- A Chinese mother explains why being a hard-ass Asian parent is better for your kids than Western coddling
- What are words worth: Hapa, Hafu or Mixed-Race?
- Book reviews: End-of-summer reads about JAs and Japan
DON’T BE BAKA — BUY THIS!
"Being Japanese American REVISED EDITION"
by Gil Asakawa
NOW AVAILABLE : THE REVISED EDITION OF "BEING JAPANESE AMERICAN" IS AVAILABLE IN PAPERBACK AND FOR KINDLE!
Read Nikkeiview columns going back to 1998, and read about Gil here.
E-mail: gilasakawa (at) gmail (dot) com
Read me on Tumblr
And on my other Tumblr
WHAT”S YOUR KRED SCORE?
Empowering Asian Americans