This was taped several months ago but it took a while for the folks at World Compass to post it online. The host, Damali Ayo, fellow guest Kelly Zen-Yie Tsai and I had a live online discussion about the cultural responses to the Japanese earthquake, tsunami and nuclear disasters, and the conversation was edited down to eight minutes of sheer brilliance… or something like that.
Search Nikkei View
- Jeremy Lin’s rise sparks national discussion on race and racial issues, not just over Asian Americans
- A pronunciation guide for Japanese words including “panko,” “udon,” “sake,” “anime” and “karaoke”
- A Chinese tiger mom explains why being a hard-ass Asian parent is better for your kids than Western coddling
- About Gil Asakawa’s Nikkeiview
- Korea’s obsession with plastic surgery is creating a generation of clone-looking young people
- V3con opening night will feature singer-songwriter Connie Lim
- Gil’s Social Media
- Pop culture including J-pop builds bridges between Japan and the US
DON’T BE BAKA — BUY THIS!
"Being Japanese American REVISED EDITION"
by Gil Asakawa
NOW AVAILABLE : THE REVISED EDITION OF "BEING JAPANESE AMERICAN" IS AVAILABLE IN PAPERBACK AND FOR KINDLE!
It;s also available for the Barnes & Noble Nook reader and in the iBooks store for Apple's iOS devices!
Read Nikkeiview columns going back to 1998, and read about Gil here.
E-mail: gilasakawa (at) gmail (dot) com
AARP’s AAPI Facebook Page
- This is the OLD version of Nikkei View
- NHK is your direct line to Japanese news
- George Takei is the Energizer Bunny of the JA community
- ‘The Little Exile’ is a terrific addition to the JA reading list
- On writing about the JA community
- Vincent Chin’s murder 35 years ago galvanized a pan-Asian movement
- Why do people still hold hateful feelings for Japan from WWII?
- Don’t give up on civil discussions on social media
- aarp (7)
- arts (19)
- asia (1)
- asian american (509)
- business (4)
- film (4)
- food & dining (84)
- history (75)
- japan & asia (150)
- japanese american (18)
- media (65)
- music (92)
- news (13)
- places (94)
- politics (28)
- pop culture (127)
- race (65)
WHAT’S YOUR KRED SCORE?
GET NIKKEIVIEW VIA EMAIL:
GET NIKKEIVIEW BY RSS: