One of my ongoing passions is pondering the passing of pop culture references. Baby boomers have lived through decades of new hip phrases — for instance, the hip word for “good” has evolved every few years, from “cool” to “groovy” to “far out” (thanks to John Denver for killing that one off by using it too much) to “excellent” to “bad” to “tight” to other words and phrases.Young people are constantly introducing new words and bringing new meanings to old words. That’s a part of the evolution of culture and language. Continue reading
Search Nikkei View
- Jeremy Lin’s rise sparks national discussion on race and racial issues, not just over Asian Americans
- A pronunciation guide for Japanese words including “panko,” “udon,” “sake,” “anime” and “karaoke”
- A Chinese tiger mom explains why being a hard-ass Asian parent is better for your kids than Western coddling
- About Gil Asakawa’s Nikkeiview
- Korea’s obsession with plastic surgery is creating a generation of clone-looking young people
- V3con opening night will feature singer-songwriter Connie Lim
- Gil’s Social Media
- Pop culture including J-pop builds bridges between Japan and the US
DON’T BE BAKA — BUY THIS!
"Being Japanese American REVISED EDITION"
by Gil Asakawa
NOW AVAILABLE : THE REVISED EDITION OF "BEING JAPANESE AMERICAN" IS AVAILABLE IN PAPERBACK AND FOR KINDLE!
Read Nikkeiview columns going back to 1998, and read about Gil here.
E-mail: gilasakawa (at) gmail (dot) com
AARP’s AAPI Facebook Page
- This is the OLD version of Nikkei View
- NHK is your direct line to Japanese news
- George Takei is the Energizer Bunny of the JA community
- ‘The Little Exile’ is a terrific addition to the JA reading list
- On writing about the JA community
- Vincent Chin’s murder 35 years ago galvanized a pan-Asian movement
- Why do people still hold hateful feelings for Japan from WWII?
- Don’t give up on civil discussions on social media
WHAT’S YOUR KRED SCORE?
GET NIKKEIVIEW VIA EMAIL:
GET NIKKEIVIEW BY RSS: